Fwd: Re: WSS 2-8-2 Mikado

Mon Apr 13 16:59:04 EDT 2020

The several postings about the WSS and its Mikado engines has awakened
some memories that I have about both.  In June and July 1954 I was
employed as a laborer on the N&W's weed spray train (I was the
"short-boom" operator on the righthand side.  With the long-boom
operator behind me I had a clear view forward of signals, bridges,
tunnels, stations, etc. east of Williamson, WV.)  One day we sprayed the
entire WSS from Winston-Salem to Wadesboro, NC.  About my only
recollection from that trip was the lack of interesting terrain such as
we had on most of the more mountainous N&W that we had sprayed up until
that point, except I do remember an interesting large lake along the
WSS.  I finished up that summer as a laborer in the N&W locomotive shop
in Durham, NC.

Then during the summer of 1955 I worked as a laborer in the locomotive
shop at Winston Salem where the WSS locomotives were serviced and
maintained.  I don't remember much about the WSS Mikes because back then
they were just another locomotive in the daily parade that needed to be
coaled, watered and lubricated.

Gordon Hamilton