What Are These Cars?

Tue Apr 14 10:57:22 EDT 2020

Roger, Now that Ken pointed us in the right direction (i.e. what to call these cars) the archives has a fair amount of info on them.  They were originally built in 1917 as cars 16407 and 16409. It appears the 407 was the Oil Car and the 409 was the Supply Car. See plan view of each in first link.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=49036

Thanks to Bob Bowers we see that the 16407 was renumbered to 516407, then 526600, then 521213 and show below still in service in the 90’s at Bluefield in the wreck train. That’s a long service life! Don’t know when it was retired.

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=143943

https://www.nwhs.org/archivesdb/detail.php?ID=143942

John Garner,  Newport VA

Monday, April 13, 2020 7:50 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: Re: What Are These Cars?

Ken,

Did they have a class or number series? How many were there? Hard to believe that's the only picture I've ever seen of them with all the many N&W books available.

Roger Huber

Deer Creek Locomotive Works

John

Those are supply cars, carrying all sorts of material such as forms, stationary, etc. They traveled the system and distributed the materials.

Ken Miller