I am sure Jimmy Lisle is correct in his memory of the Link cigar story.

Thu Apr 30 11:16:54 EDT 2020

On 4/30/2020 9:51 AM, NW Mailing List wrote:

> My misapprehension, placing the brakeman in the doghouse, depends on a
> much stronger cigar than seems likely.  There is a peculiar way that
> odors seem to carry farther in cold air, but a train’s length is
> unrealistic. Thanks for bringing me back down to earth.
>
> Neill

Neill,

     I am guessing that you have never seen photos of how Mr. Link made
those recordings. He was filming/recording from the top of a caboose
that was right behind the tender. He was doing this right in front of
the cupola of the cab. Did you not hear how he mentioned sitting on the
grating of the roofwalk and how uncomfortable it was? Somewhere there is
a photo of the brakeman sitting in the cupola with Link right outside
the front. As I said, the "Bernoulli's Principle" and wind eddys drug
the stench of the "very power cigar" around.

Jimmy Lisle