Arrow Cover Color Question

Fri Sep 4 21:00:54 EDT 2020

Matt

I was not there, so my answers are “best guesses,” I wish my father was still around, I could have asked him, but we never really think of stuff like this until far too late. He could have been the brakeman on this photo and I did check his time book but it was not him, he also did not dress with bibs.

Cabooses were assigned in those days, and most of the conductors took great pride in keeping “their” cab clean and neat. It would not take a lot to take a ball of waste and wipe down the end of the cab. However, it seems likely they would not do such, as they did not ride out there except when passing another train to inspect, they were in the cupola keeping an eye on their own train, while the conductor would be doing his paperwork at his desk. I’d also think the roof overhang would help with keeping the ends cleaner than the back of the cupola.

At one time, at least on some cabs, the front and rear cupola windows could be opened, but I can imagine the amount of coal dust and dirt blowing in would generally have been stopped with waste stuffed into the cracks to stop that.

Ken Miller