Derailment near Glenvar, VA 10-30-2020

Sun Nov 1 18:48:26 EST 2020

As one who spent several years representing the Motive Power Department
in the early 1980s on the three-man derailment investigation team (aka
go team) for the Northern Region of the NS (remember when the former N&W
was designated the Northern Region and the former Southern was
designated the Southern Region?)  I will be interested from my arm chair
to see what the determination of the cause of this accident will be.  I
am not familiar of the particular bridge that collapsed, but with some
knowledge of the sturdiness of the former Virginia bridges, I find it
hard to believe that the bridge collapsed under the weight of the train,
unless a pier or an abutment was somehow subject to excessive erosion
from the river (doubtful).  Rather, it seems more likely that the train
was derailed in advance of the bridge, and the derailed cars brought
down the bridge.  I think this could be indicated by the aerial view of
the derailment site published in the Roanoke Times which shows the
crossties in approach to the bridge (bottom right in the image below) in
great disarray as though one or more cars were derailed in approach to
the bridge.

10312020-roa-va-roanokecotrainderail-p01

This is the view from my arm chair (no more calls at 2:00 a.m. to drive
a couple of hundred miles to a derailment site), and I'll be interested
to know what the investigation shows to be the cause of the bridge collapse.

Incidentally, this picture was taken for the Roanoke Times by David
Hungate, the son-in-law of my friend Andy Stone.

Gordon Hamilton