Derailment near Glenvar, VA 10-30-2020

Sun Nov 1 18:34:33 EST 2020

Very good point, Jimmy! Let's not get like the media and jump to conclusions for hysteria's sake.
Roger HuberDeer Creek Locomotive Works

 So, are we jumping to conclusions that the bridge was at fault? Maybe the derailment took out the bridge.
Jimmy Lisle

The road that went under this span is Barley Road.  I have a friend who lives west of this site on Barley Road.  Last year he and I visited this bridge and noted that it was built at the beginning of the last century as were many other viaducts and spans nearby on  the old VGN.  I wonder what NS will do concerning the others (like the one east of the Yateman  Viaduct} which seem to be in similar condition?

Skip Salmon

   The Roanoke Times has four photos taken later in the day. In one, it can be seen where one of the bridge piers was snapped off near the base.
   See https://roanoke.com/news/local/norfolk-southern-train-derails-spills-coal-into-roanoke-river-in-western-roanoke-county/article_223cbbd6-1ba7-11eb-acc8-b332c9eaa349.html#tracking-source=home-top-story-1

SKIP SALMON