Steam Doubleheaders

Wed Feb 3 23:05:01 EST 2021

I am not going to speak for steam engines.  The Virginian Electrics, that
went into service in 1924, had a radio transmitter and receiver system for
communications between the lead electric locomotive set and the pusher in
the rear.  This was necessary because the speed controls in the electrics
had different requirements than steam locomotives when starting the
trains.  Sometimes there was over a mile between the two when the trains
started out of Elmore Yard in Mullens, WV.  Being in the mountains, the
whistles could not always be heard at that distance.  The radio system
provided the same information to the Engineers as the whistles on the
locomotives.  There were reliability issues because the "electronics" of
the era were not built for industrial environments. The poor ride quality
of those early electrics caused a lot of "shake rattle and roll" to the
electronic components in the systems.  Maybe some of the steam locomotive
enthusiasts could shed more light on steam locomotives starting long coal
trains under conditions found in yards such as Elmore and C&O, Fulton Yard
in Richmond, VA.

Sam Holben