Pocahontas mainline operators

Tue Aug 24 09:15:25 EDT 2021

Marty,

Crews referred to them variously as "operator," "tower" or by name. The
three mainline Pocahontas towers you mention below, plus HQ tower (the
late version), were of a similar frame design. Two exceptions were Devon
(mentioned earlier, was in the depot) and Eckman, between Bluestone and
Tug. The Eckman operator was in the yard office, a depot-like structure
pictured in Alex's book, "The Norfolk And Western In West Virginia
1881-1959" on page 261.

As mentioned, the operator count was a moving target and declined
through the 1950s. A handy inflection point that includes those
mentioned here was the start of centralizing TC in Bluefield. I believe
Bluestone was the first to move and close, barely making it into 1950,
then Eckman, then HQ.

Grant Carpenter