CTC Installation in the 1950's

Wed Aug 25 02:06:52 EDT 2021

Just for reference in regard to CTC, CTC was completed on the Norfolk Division in December 1958 with Pamplin and Burkeville converted to CTC.  My father had just become the agent at Burkeville a couple of months prior to that, so he went back to being an operator until the switch-over  was complete.  He worked the third trick (midnight to 8AM) for over three years during WW2 doing the interlocking plant and selling passenger tickets.  This was seven days a week; no days off. He never missed a day’s work during that time.  When the operators finally got one day a week off in late 1945 or early 46, Daddy said it was very difficult knowing how to handle that one day off.

Bill Mason

William M (Bill) Mason

wmmason at verizon.net