Tower on Hanging Rock depot

Thu May 23 12:18:32 EDT 2024

Frank

As Tim said, this was the Scioto Valley design, and as Frank Akers pointed out, Rural Retreat had a tall tower as well. A number of the “Mahone” designs had tall towers, Meadow View, Salem and the totally unusual Christiansburg all had the tall observation tower.

As Tim stated, it was likely to be for giving a signal to approaching trains.

I know Salem’s tall tower was removed by 1932, and others probably about the same time, depending on the structure’s condition. But interestingly enough, when Salem’s was removed, they went to the trouble to put all the decorative work back in place.

Christiansburg had its tower in the center, in a design that, to my knowledge, was totally unique and remains to this day. But I have to suspect that the building is very much in danger at this point.

Best
Ken Miller