Tower on Hanging Rock depot

Thu May 23 11:28:59 EDT 2024

 All,

These were on all wooden, Scioto Valley Ry.-constructed stations.  It was a design strictly relevant to that N&W predecessor.  It was once explained to me that some sort of oversized, "highball" signal lantern -- perhaps green --could be raised to the open canopy above the telegraph bay.  Most, if not all, of the towers were removed after the tax evaluation photos.  Off the top of my head, only the one at Ashville, Ohio remains (sans tower) as an SV example.  I have the bay windows and telegraph table (so old that it fits together with wooden dowells) that came from Coal Grove incorporated into my depot theme.
Tim Hensley

 Good morning:

Please see: https://i.ebayimg.com/images/g/0vMAAOSwnV5mKZLB/s-l1600.webp  Was the tower merely decorative on the Hanging Rock, Ohio, depot or did it serve a purpose.  I do not recall other N&W depots with this feature.

Thank you,

Frank Scheer
f_scheer at yahoo.com