PA consists

Mon May 27 16:08:39 EDT 2024

 In the 1950's, after the Christmas holidays, the eastbound Arrow might have a long consist on the day before college classes resumed. On one such day, I rode 26 when it was claimed there were a thousand of us aboard. Probably an exaggeration, but I do remember the line to the bar in the observation car stretched through two coaches. The original plan for the 1949 train was for seven cars, but this soon settled down to five as the regular consist (releasing more P3's for use on the Pocahontas). However, they would sometimes deadhead an extra coach from Roanoke to Bluefield on 25 so that it could go east on 26 (presumably for anticipated extra business). This called for some efficient switching, as the scheduled station stop for both trains was only five minutes.
Jim Nichols