dwarf signals NS in multiple parts (part 1)

Fri Jun 21 20:45:18 EDT 2024

Jim,May I suggest that you contact someone that can explain this signal and its operation to you instead of guessing about it.This is a new one to me as I suspect there has been a lot that has changed since I left the property!Jimmy LisleSent from my Verizon, Samsung Galaxy smartphone
-------- Original message --------From: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Date: 6/21/24  8:24 PM  (GMT-05:00) To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org> Subject: dwarf signals NS in multiple parts (part 1) As many of you may recall from our last exciting episode, my preliminary conclusion was that at least one of the functions of the NS dwarves was to indicate the state of its associated switch with green indicating "normal", red indicating "not set" or "changing" and amber indicating "reversed".Well as I captured my next set of shots, I started to question part of my earlier hypothesis.In the attached sequence you will see the dwarf displaying amber ( indicating reversed) and the switchman approaching the control panel.  The next shot shows the dwarf still displaying amber and the switchman preparing to push the switch that will switch the switch :^)  The next shot shows the switchman walking away after having activated the switch to change to normal position, so the switch should have been in the process of changing states at this point.  Note that it is entirely dark instead of red as I previously would have expected, so perhaps "no lights lit" is used to indicate that the signal is in an unknown state (someone in the know, let us know).  the final shot of this sequence shows the signal having achieved the normal position and the dwarf displaying green as expected.But wait, there's more.  Stay tuned for the next episode.Jim Cochran