dwarf signals NS in multiple parts (part 1)

Fri Jun 21 18:52:36 EDT 2024

As many of you may recall from our last exciting episode, my
preliminary conclusion was that at least one of the functions of the NS
dwarves was to indicate the state of its associated switch with green
indicating "normal", red indicating "not set" or "changing" and amber
indicating "reversed".
Well as I captured my next set of shots, I started to question part of my
earlier hypothesis.
In the attached sequence you will see the dwarf displaying amber (
indicating reversed) and the switchman approaching the control panel.  The
next shot shows the dwarf still displaying amber and the switchman
preparing to push the switch that will switch the switch :^)  The next shot
shows the switchman walking away after having activated the switch to
change to normal position, so the switch should have been in the process of
changing states at this point.  Note that it is entirely dark instead of
red as I previously would have expected, so perhaps "no lights lit" is used
to indicate that the signal is in an unknown state (someone in the know,
let us know).  the final shot of this sequence shows the signal having
achieved the normal position and the dwarf displaying green as expected.
But wait, there's more.  Stay tuned for the next episode.
Jim Cochran