Stack Paint Question

Sun Jul 7 10:41:40 EDT 2024

Thanks Jimmy and Tim.

Tim, I remember a discussion about locomotives in Columbus with the Nicklesheen treatment, and wondered if this might be another example of Divisional preferences. I think the cylinder shine is a lighting reflection.

I looked up some of the advertisements I captured from the N&W magazine and see the same stack treatment. Maybe Jimmy Lisle is right - it’s not an additional treatment, just the *lack* of another type of treatment. Although based on the advertised benefit of “resists all corrosion whether of rust or acid”, it would seen you’d want to cover the stack as well.

I’m attaching a couple more locomotives with the treatment (or lack of treatment) - and a Nicklesheen ad showing the same - for future reference. And because it’s interesting!

E2a 543 at Cincinnati
K2a 134 at Ironton
K1 112 at Cincinnati
K2a 131 at unknown location (crop from the previously shared image
E2a 5?? at Columbus
Nickelsheen ad - October 1927 (featuring K2a 135?)
Nickelsheen ad - July 1926 (featuring K1 112)

Matt Goodman