Picture: top of passenger equipment & ends

Mon Aug 19 11:21:45 EDT 2024

 The first "Redbirds" were delivered in the fall of 1958. The first repaints into blue were in 1965, but red lasted until all units had been repainted, a process that probably took a few years.Passenger car roofs were dark brown until the late '50's when black became standard Of course dirt and grime soon obscured the brown color, but they were brown when freshly shopped. Another note: the larger underbody boxes had their fronts painted red until the late "50's, at which time they became black, as did the roofs and ends.
Jim Nichols