Picture: top of passenger equipment & ends

Mon Aug 19 13:39:02 EDT 2024

Does anyone on this list model the line into Hagerstown?

Carl Barna
Emmaus, PA
Sent: Monday, August 19, 2024 12:18 PM
To: NW Mailing List <nw-mailing-list at nwhs.org>
Subject: RE: Picture: top of passenger equipment & ends

Re Lone Star: The September 1959 issue of the N&W Magazine has an article on the Lone Star Cement Corp operation.  Several photos show passenger GP9’s in pairs on the branch. One photo shows two trains, both with passenger GP9’s, meeting at the main line switch at Cloverdale. So it looks like four units to handle two trains daily for the branch.

As for GP9’s on trains 1 and 2, it was always one unit on those trains. However after the end of mixed trains 13-14, N&W continued a local freight Hagerstown-Shenandoah on the same schedule with a new red GP9 which otherwise would have laid over 24 hours in Hagerstown. That train also had a box express car for REA three days a week north of Shenandoah. Mail and express service ended when N&W dropped 1 and 2 north of Waynesboro in 1962. I wish I was old enough to have had a camera to record everything I remember.

--Rick Morrison