electricity for lamps

Fri Aug 23 10:16:01 EDT 2024

 All,
This picture is rare account it shows the use of a particular type of improved lamp in the late steam era, rather than the usual Armspear example.  They were more of a manifestation after dieselization.
Certainly I'm no college-degree carrying engineer, but it was no problem to electrify these lamps from local yard current. Out along the main lines and in remote areas, I think a low voltage electricity was drawn off of/reduced from the signal lines; I think that top, zig-zag bracket piece on the poles carried the 440 (maybe 220?).
Back when switch lamps were kerosene, it was the responsibility of section forces to keep them lit/extinguished.  I well remember a person of this craft walking around the Kenova Belt Line in the evening for this purpose.
Tim Hensley

 See attached.  Looks like cable runs from lamp to a covered box set into the ground, but no indication of where the underground cable originated from.Jim Cochran