NORFOLK - Two More Questions for Mr. Bundy

Sat Sep 21 12:08:50 EDT 2024

For question 1, there is a world of difference between the control a dispatcher and the control a yardmaster have. A dispatcher gives formal authority to occupy a main track and other track as specified in the timetable (except generally within yard limits, no authority is required to occupy a main track unless it within interlocking or CTC limits - interlocking and CTC rules supersede yard limit rules).

On the other hand, while a yardmaster tells a crew where to put a train, there is no formal authority behind those instructions (as none is needed). Occupying a main track which requires formal dispatcher authority without that authority is a serious rules violation. Yarding your train in a different yard track than the yardmaster said will get the yardmaster upset but no formal rules have been violated.

Main Track rules apply on any designated main track. What those rules are depends on whether or not it’s in yard limits, has ABS, has CTC, or is within interlocking limits. It is entirely possible for there to be main track within yard limits that no one is actively controlling.

Note that when I say CTC, I mean whatever name N&W and now NS used for their CTC equivalent.

--
Larry Stone
lstone19 at stonejongleux.com