When were milk and cream shipments discontinued?

Fri Sep 27 18:55:00 EDT 2024

If N&W had reefers they must have been very early, before World War
II. They would have hauled express reefers from REA and other
railroads in their passenger trains. N&W did eventually get some
insulated boxcars and mechanical reefers, but I'm pretty sure that was
after the 1964 merger, and may have even been an extension of Wabash
service. I think NKP hauled a lot of meat reefers out of Chicago, but
I don't know if that service was still in place at the time of the
merger.
N&W had stock cars pulled by a G class 2-8-0 up into the 1950s, the
Honaker Branch I think.
Milk and dairy didn't necessarily travel in reefers. That's why speed
was so important in transporting them. The milk cans may have been
placed in a chest filled with ice, but otherwise were often loaded on
baggage cars as another piece of express in a passenger train.
Marty Flick

Sent: Friday September 27 2024 2:54:53PM
Subject: Re: When were milk and cream shipments discontinued?

  Did the N&W have reefers and cattle cars?
  Carl Barna  Emmaus, PA
SUBJECT: Re: When were milk and cream shipments discontinued?    I
believe most milk cans were transported in baggage and express cars.
From what I've read about the dairy industry, I don't think it was so
much that the railroads stopped accepting them but the dairy traffic
simply moved to trucks for cost and effeciancy reasons.
 Marty Flick

 Sent: Friday September 27 2024 7:29:42AM

 I have a follow up question, how did the N&W ship those?
 Thanks,
 David Baker

 > On Sep 26, 2024, at 1:37 AM, NW Mailing List via NW-Mailing-List
wrote:

 > Good morning!
 >
 > Is there a date that milk and cream shipments were no longer
accepted on the N&W, or did that traffic wither away on its own?

 > Best Autumn wishes,
 >
 > Frank Scheer
 > f_scheer at yahoo.com________________________________________
 >   [1]http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list [2]
 /> > Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at
 >   [3]http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/ [4]
 />
  [5]http://list.nwhs.org/mailman/options/nw-mailing-list [6]
 /> Browse the NW-Mailing-List archives at
  [7]http://list.nwhs.org/pipermail/nw-mailing-list/ [8]
 />

Links:
------