N&W station green model paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Sat Jul 1 17:16:44 EDT 2023

Frank Scheer wrote:

> This leads to the question: when did N&W have a program to replace the slate roofs?  When this occurred, some received asbestos shingles while others had standing-seam metal roofs. Although the metal roof at Boyce is believed to have been replaced during the post World War II period... <snip>

Frank, I found and purchased a document in the archives (HS-D00023) that describes an interlocking tower fireproofing program, listing the towers, some details of each (dimensions, other railroads) and dates of various milestones (materials ordered, work completed, etc.). According to this document, the work was started in 1942 (the first was Jack), and was still ongoing in 1943.

It doesn’t explicitly address what the fireproofing work included. For my research, I assume this program was responsible for the application of asbestos shingle siding and metal staircase to Circleville's tower. Circleville already had a standing-seam metal roof prior to this program, but perhaps this was when Boyce received its new roof.

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio, US