Imron was: Tuscan paint

NW Modeling List nw-modeling-list at nwhs.org
Mon Jan 29 16:07:23 EST 2024

Imron has many different mixes and is a very differentanimal since Axalta
bought them from Duponte, it's not just an epoxy coating anymore. I have
used their industrial paint for over 10+ years of painting full sized
locomotives. The type of paint that will most likely be put on the
passenger car would be 3.5HG+, which is a high gloss Polyurethane. They
might be using the 2.5 HGd+ that's a DTM, but I highly doubt it. The paint
we use to paint locomotives with is the 3.5HG+ over a high build imron
primer, and then an Axalta clear coat over it (although that's not a
necessary step for the 3.5). Is it dangerous? Sure, all paints are
dangerous, but Imron is way safer than the garbage GE had us use
(strathmore). Even model paints, I still use a respirator when painting my
stuff.

For models, you might be able to thin it down enough, but it's going to
look dark. I'd wait for a good model color to come out, or find a Tuscan
red that looks close

Jon Jones