[412-public-news] Everyone loves a good story – and winner!

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Fri Oct 13 09:55:38 EDT 2017

Hi All!

Next Friday night, 10/20/17, the nonprofit story-telling organization, The
Moth, is hosting its annual Pittsburgh GRAND SLAM at the Northside's New
Hazlett Theater, and my wife, 2-time defending champion, is gracing the
stage to present another of her stories, with nine others, – and you're
invited.

https://themoth.org/events/grandslam-championship-8

Better get the tickets soon, as they do sell out.

Three of Catherine's stories are archived here:
https://themoth.org/storytellers/catherine-palmer

A fourth is going to play on the NPR-syndicated Moth Radio Hour in early
January too.

+

A couple of days ago, to a much different venue and audience, Catherine
went on stage and got 2nd place at the 3 Rivers Venture Fair with the
Pittsburgh Venture Capital Association. Their biz pitch was one among 14
with roots at either Pitt or CMU. Prize money too, but that's for the
budding invention device. Bravo sweetheart!

+

Next brag point: Our Pittsburgh Masters Water Polo Team is crushing it!

We're growing. We're getting is shape. We're open for new players. And,
we've been competing with the best in the east as well. Our squad played
matches recently at Washington & Jefferson College, Pitt, CMU and won 3 of
4 games last weekend in a tournament hosted by the Washington DC Wetskins.
We've got players now from WVU, D.U., Pgh Art Institute, and a few adults
who had not been in the water for the past 20-years, both men and women.

+

Another group of adult friends (and high school swimmers too) get together
to play for Pittsburgh's Underwater Hockey team a couple of nights a week.

Adults, and even varsity high school swimmers, are welcome to join in with
water polo and underwater hockey activities. See the google calendar link
at http://CLOH.org. More events are coming too, as soon as we get through a
major breakdown with swim pool permit process at Pittsburgh Obama. Our
school and community programs should have started in the east end in
September – but I still have hope.

+

Saturday Swim School, at Northside's Oliver High School, 2323 Brighton
Road, is open for kids and their mentors too, on Saturdays from 11:30 am to
1 pm. Drop in. Lesson. Fitness. Game play.

If your community group, car-pool, scout troop, team, classroom or family
wants to join in with our activities at the Saturday Swim School, call me.
412-298-3432. We have room. We learn aquatic safety and challenge the kids
in new settings, while practicing how to play well with other.

+

Did you hear that the City got a report that called for the selling off of
the South Side's Oliver Bath House? Rats to that. Hope we are Facebook
friends and can turn the tide against that noise.

+

Sadly, Another recreational venue just evaporated. Sounds like the new
owners of the Pittsburgh Athletic Association (PAA) in Oakland are not
interested in keeping the swim pool in that building functional. Fred
Rodgers used to swim there.

+

Help me get the word out to voters in the City of Pittsburgh as we all get
to decide upon a ballot question, a referendum.  YES or NO as to allowing
workers for the City of Pittsburgh to get part-time jobs as athletic
coaches at Pittsburgh Public Schools. Presently, it is NOT legal, as per
the City's Charter, for any city worker (for example, firefighter,
policeman, EMT, public-works employee, bureaucrat, or member of city
council such as Cory O'Connor) to coach their kid's school teams if at PPS.
So, Councilperson O'Connor can coach the golf team at Central Catholic but
not at Allderdice – as it stands presently. With “YES” votes, we'll change
the charter and allow for part-time work opportunities, for the sake of the
city's kids.

Voter education via media mentions and community meeting invites are
welcomed as well.

Thanks for all you do for our community.

Mark Rauterkus
Mark at Rauterkus.com
412-298-3432 = cell
Swim & Water Polo Coach for Pittsburgh Public Schools and Summer Dreamers

http://CLOH.org

News feature in the P-G about our swim program,
http://TinyURL.com/swim-waterpolo

Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/rauterkus
Linked In: https://www.linkedin.com/in/rauterkus/