[Clipmate-announce] ClipMate March Newsletter (Plain Text Version)

Chris Thornton chris at thornsoft.com
Thu Mar 15 12:27:38 EDT 2007

March 2007
Welcome to our March Newsletter, featuring news about the upcoming
ClipMate 7 update, and a ClipMate usage tip.

HTML Version - This newsletter is posted at our website in HTML
format at: http://www.thornsoft.com/newsletter/newsletter_mar07.htm
And as an RSS feed: http://www.thornsoft.com/rssnewsletter.xml

Newsletter Contents:
ClipMate 7.2 - Coming Soon
Updating / Upgrading - Includes special offer for ClipMate 5 & 6 users.
License Expansion - Need to add more seats?
ClipMate - Get it "Free"?
Alert - (Update) AOL / CA Antispyware Error
ClipMate Tip - Exploding PowerPaste
Translations - New German translation available

ClipMate 7.2 - Coming Soon!
While the latest release is still ClipMate 7.1.07, we are working on
7.2 which brings a whole new aspect to ClipMate: portability. You can
now take ClipMate and your clips with you on portable "thumb" drives,
including drives branded with the "U3 Smart" logo. While ClipMate
should be fully-compliant with the U3 requirements (including "leave
no traces in the registry"), we are not going to limit it to U3-branded
devices, and the portable version will run on any removable drive,
including those running the "PortableApps" launcher.

Registered ClipMate7 users will be eligible to test the new version
prior to release - please send a note to USB2007 at Thornsoft.Com with
subject of ClipMate U3 Beta, ClipMate PortableApps Beta, or ClipMate
Generic USB Beta, and we will send you the details when we are ready to
test.

If you don't have a "USB Thumb Drive" yet, get one! They're very
handy, and you can get great deals, especially on the 1 and 2 GB
drives. I am writing this document on a 1.0GB drive that cost something
like $15 on the day after Thanksgiving. It's got the U3 launcher, so
it can "autorun" and gives me a nice menu for launching programs, and
I like knowing that the programs on the drive don't leave crud behind
on whatever computer I'm running it on.

UPDATING
The current ClipMate 7 release is 7.1.06. If you are running a prior version of
ClipMate7, you can update with
this link: http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate.exe
Just install over the top of your existing ClipMate 7 installation.
ClipMate 6 users: If you'd like to upgrade to version 7, the upgrade price is $19.95
for a single-user license.
Write to sales at thornsoft.com for quotes on multi-user upgrades.
ClipMate 5 users wishing to upgrade to ClipMate 7 can get a price break when
upgrading by following this link:
http://www.thornsoft.com/email4527.htm
The current version of Darn! Passwords! is v3.1.03.

License Expansion
While ClipMate's single-user license allows you to run the same
license on up to two computers, sometimes your needs grow. Our
"Household Pack" allows home users to run ClipMate on up to 5
computers. We also have multi-user discounts for workgroups and
businesses of any size. Sometimes the pricing gets tricky when you are
expanding or upgrading multi-user licenses, so send us an e-mail:
sales at thornsoft.com and Brenda can prepare a custom quote for
upgrading your license, taking into account what you've already
purchased.

Special Offer - ClipMate for "FREE"?
We heard about "TrialPay" at a conference this summer, and aside from
the Rocky Mountains, that was the highlight of the trip. TrialPay is a
new way of getting software for free, by signing up for a special
offer from one of their partners. It sounds crazy, but it really
works, and here's why: YOU ARE VALUABLE. Big companies like Vonage,
Cingular, Discover, Blockbuster, eBay and TiVo will pay a reward for
new customers. Usually, this goes to some marketing company, or the
kid in the cell phone store who wasn't all that helpful in choosing
your new phone. But what if you could get some of that for yourself?
It would be nice if you could walk into Blockbuster, and claim a nice
cash reward for "turning yourself in" as a new customer.

Well now you CAN, sort of. TrialPay has partnered with dozens of these
companies to use these reward dollars as a form of payment for things
that you need. Forget frisbees and cheap umbrellas. Just sign up for a
Discover card, a new eBay account, a phone from Cingular Wireless, or
BlockBuster Online. They'll buy a fully-licensed copy of ClipMate for
you. There are over 50 such offers, all of which will get you a free
copy of ClipMate.

So if you've been holding out on upgrading to ClipMate 7, or if you
know someone who really needs ClipMate but can't bear to part with
$34.95, this may be a great option. If you're intrigued by the idea
but don't need another license, send us an e-mail and we can transfer
the license to someone else as a gift from you.

To get ClipMate for "Free", visit this page:
http://www.thornsoft.com/trialpay.htm And feel free to forward this
offer to anyone who would benefit from it.

Alert - CA Antispyware causing "This program has been damaged..." error, now for AOL too!
This issue is dying fast, as AOL started distributing their fixed
version of the AntiSpyware in February.
Here is an article with more information:
http://www.thornsoft.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=2820

ClipMate Tip - Exploding PowerPaste
As you probably know, PowerPaste is used to quickly paste a series of
clips into a program. Just turn it on, paste a clip somewhere, and
PowerPaste advances to the next clip. But many users don't know about
the "Exploding" option. Under the Edit menu, the last option is
"PowerPaste Option - Explode Into Fragments". This is a toggle setting
(on or off) that tells PowerPaste how to act. If it's off, PowerPaste
acts normally, advancing from one clip to the next, as you paste. But
if you turn it ON, PowerPaste will break each clip up into "fragments"
and paste each fragment separately.

What's a "Fragment"? It's text within a clip, broken apart by
"delimiters" such as spaces, tabs, linebreaks, commas, and periods.
Consider the following clip:

Joe User
123 Main Street
Anytown, NY 12345

If you turn on the "Exploding" option and then start PowerPaste, you
can paste this clip 5 times and get 5 different results. You'd get
"Joe User", "123 Main Street", "Anytown", and "NY 12345" as separate
pastes. Why? By default, the linebreaks and commas are considered
"delimiters", so PowerPaste broke the item up into 5 separate
"fragments". And notice that the comma after "Anytown" is missing.
That's because PowerPaste usually discards the delimiters.

You can have full control over the delimiters. If you had wanted to
break this up into individual "words", you could add a space to the
delimiter list - see Tools | Options | Pasting.

This feature is very handy when dealing with data in a structured
format that needs to be broken apart. In the above example, we could
be taking sales leads from e-mail and then PowerPasting them into an
online CRM or a home-grown database. Likewise, you can easily work
with spreadsheet data this way. Data copied from, or exported from
spreadsheets is usually delimited by commas or tabs. No problem!
Exploding PowerPaste will chew right through it.

The next time you're faced with having to move a mountain of data,
remember that you don't just have a shovel, you've got a steam shovel.
Exploding PowerPaste can cut the task down to size in no time. Just
remember to turn the Exploding option off when you're done with it, or
the next time you use PowerPaste, your data will come out in chunks.

See the PowerPaste help topic for more information:
http://www.thornsoft.com/HTML_help/7/intro_paste_powerpaste.htm

There is also an animated tutorial for PowerPaste, and the second part
shows the Exploding option:
http://www.thornsoft.com/LeeLou/60/t2.viewlet/t2_viewlet_swf.html

Translations
We'd like to thank Helmut Langen for a very nice German translation!
We have two multi-language distributions, one for European (French,
Czech, Polish, Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Turkish) and one for
Asian languages (Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional, Korean).
They can be downloaded here:
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiAsian.exe
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiEurope.exe
You can find information on translations on our site:
http://www.thornsoft.com/lang.htm

That's it for now! As always, please feel free to contact us with any questions.
If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, just let us know.

Chris Thornton, President
Thornsoft Development, Inc.
P.O. Box 164, Spencerport NY, 14559 USA
(585) 352-4223
http://www.thornsoft.com

Note: Replies should be directed to support at thornsoft.com or
sales at thornsoft.com Replies sent directly to the list server will be
lost. To change your subscription information, visit
http://www.thornsoft.com/listserv.htm