[Clipmate-announce] ClipMate June Newsletter

Chris Thornton chris at thornsoft.com
Thu Jun 28 16:44:44 EDT 2007

JUNE 2007
Welcome to our June Newsletter, featuring news about the ClipMate 7.2
update, a new Spanish translation, and a ClipMate usage tip.

HTML Version - This newsletter is posted at our website in HTML
format at: http://www.thornsoft.com/newsletter/newsletter_june07.htm
And as an RSS feed: http://www.thornsoft.com/rssnewsletter.xml

NEWSLETTER CONTENTS:
ClipMate 7.2 - It's Here!
U3 Certified
Updating / Upgrading - Includes special offer for ClipMate 5 & 6 users.
ClipMate Nominated for "Best Application" Award
ClipMate - Get it "Free"?
ClipMate Tip - Moving to a New PC
Translations - Spanish translation available

CLIPMATE 7.2 - IT'S HERE!
ClipMate 7.2 is a free update for registered users of ClipMate 7.1 or 7.0.
It features better support for Windows Vista, several fixes, and
expanded multi-monitor screen capture support. But the big feature is
"portability". If you have a portable USB "thumb" drive, you can
download a special installer that will put the "U3" or "PortableApps"
version of ClipMate on the device. This allows you to take ClipMate
to another PC and use it there, without having to license that PC
separately. This is great when you're traveling, visiting friends,
using public PCs at the Library, or bringing work back and forth
between home and the office. It's also very handy in a "locked-down"
environment where regular users can't install their own software.

The portable version comes in two "flavors": U3, for "U3 Smart" devices
(they have a U3 logo on them), and "PortableApps" for devices running
the PortableApps menu from PortableApps.Com. If you have a portable
drive without either of those, you can usually install the
PortableApps menu, as it works on any device, and it's free.

Once installed, you can run ClipMate from the launch menu and ClipMate
runs, interacting with the clipboard and programs on the host computer
normally. All data is stored right on the removable device. And your
registration key resides on the removable device too! So you don't
have to worry about leaving your registration key on other people's
PCs. Lastly, your user preferences are stored on the removable device
as well.

If you are a licensed user of ClipMate 7, your license covers the use
on a USB drive. However, that counts as "one computer". We allow you
to use a single-user license on up to two computers, so if you already
use ClipMate on a Desktop and Laptop, and want to also use it on a
portable USB drive, you need to expand your license accordingly,
either by adding a "seat" or by upgrading to the "Household Pack".

Adding a seat normally costs $27.95 USD, but for a limited time we are
offering a special "Add a Seat" pricing of $19.95 USD at this link:
http://www.digibuy.com/cgi-bin/order.html?thornsoft+96179388344

If you are interested in upgrading to the 5-user "Household Pack", we
have a special offer for you also:
We know people who have a whole house full of computers. One for the
den, one for the kitchen, a couple in the basement, and a Thumb drive
or two! If you have a house full of computers in a residential (not
business) setting, we have a new 'Household' license which covers
ClipMate for up to 5 computers. It's a bargain at $79.95, but you can
'trade-up' your existing license and save $20 by using the coupon code:
V6UP2H_2000. So your cost would be $59.95. Here is the link to use, if
you would like to take advantage of this offer:
http://www.thornsoft.com/buynow.php?prod=CMPRO5&ec=DIGIBUY

The coupon code can be entered on the second page of our order system,
right below your address and phone number.

To learn more about the Portable version, including information on how
to transfer your existing data and license, visit this page:
http://www.thornsoft.com/usb.htm

U3 CERTIFIED
ClipMate passed the U3 logo certification on its first try, on May 24th.
This means that you'll be able to use it confidently on any XP or
Vista system, knowing that it won't leave any "junk" behind on the
host system when you remove your U3 device.

UPDATING
- The current ClipMate 7 release is 7.2.03. If you are running a prior
version of ClipMate7, you can update with these links:
Latest Dekstop Installer: http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate.exe
Latest U3 Installer: http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate7_U3EXE.exe
Latest PortableApps Installer: http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate7_PAF.exe
Just install over the top of your existing ClipMate 7 installation.
- ClipMate 6 users: If you'd like to upgrade to version 7, the upgrade
price is $19.95 for a single-user license using this link:
http://www. thornsoft.com/ClipMate7_Upgrade_Offer.htm .
Write to sales at thornsoft.com for quotes on multi-user upgrades.
- ClipMate 5 users wishing to upgrade to ClipMate 7 can get a price break
when upgrading by following this link: http://www.thornsoft.com/email4527.htm
- The current version of Darn! Passwords! is v3.1.03.

CLIPMATE NOMINATED FOR "BEST APPLICATION" AWARD
We're proud to be nominated for "Best Application" in the 2007
Shareware Industry Awards. We're in great company, with products from
Microsoft, Corel, WinZip, WinRar, and even Sun Microsystems being
nominated as well. You can have a look at the very impressive list of
nominees here: http://www.siavoting.com/sia.php
Like most of the other nominees, we're very happy and honored to be
nominated by our peers in the try-before-you-buy software industry
known collectively as "Shareware".

SPECIAL OFFER - CLIPMATE FOR "FREE"?
We had a good response from our March "TrialPay" offer, where you can
get ClipMate for free, by using TrialPay to sign up for services such
as TiVo, BlockBuster, or a Discover card. That offer is still good,
and you can find out more at http://www.thornsoft.com/trialpay.htm
It turns out, TrialPay can be used to accept "alternative payment" for
just about any kind of service. So if you are looking for an easy way
for people to send you payments - for goods, services, or even
donations, look into TrialPay. If you decide to sign up as a merchant,
please consider using our referral link: http://merchant.trialpay.
com/ref?tp=QreQl

CLIPMATE TIP - MOVING TO A NEW PC
Eventually, everybody has to leave the relative comfort of their old PC,
and move to a new one. Maybe the old one is too slow, won't work with
Windows Vista, or maybe it's dying a slow, loud, and painful death.
But sooner or later, it's time to move. Here's how to get it done.

- First, locate your registration key. If you have ClipMate 7.2, it's
easy! ClipMate 7.2 has a new button on the About box (under the Help
menu) which copies some information to the clipboard, including your
registration key information. Click that, and now you have a clip
with your registration in it. Now for a little trick: There's other
stuff in the new clip that you don't need. So look at the clip in
ClipMate's View/Edit pane, and highlight the two lines that contain
your name and key. Press Ctrl+C, and now you have another new clip,
with just those two lines. Don't worry about spaces up front. Leave
this clip as your top clip.
- Next, back up your data. ClipMate 6 and 7 have a built-in backup
utility, which can be accessed from the File | Database Maintenance
menu. Run the backup, and pay attention to where the backup is located.
You'll need to know that. Now you have a ZIP file, containing your
entire ClipMate database.
- Move that ZIP file (don't open it up, leave it intact as a ZIP file) to
the new PC. Place in your "my documents" folder, or somewhere else
where you can reach it.
- Install ClipMate on the new PC, preferably with the latest version
available.
- Run ClipMate, and after it comes up, go to File | Database Maintenance,
and run the "Restore from Backup". Pick the backup file that you made
earlier, and it should overwrite the new (empty) database with your
old data.
- Your clip containing the registration key should be the top clip. Go to
Help | Enter Registration Key, and it should see your key, and
automatically enter it for you. You're Done!

Special Case for Portable Drives - license transfer:
If you have ClipMate on your desktop, and have a newly-installed
version on a portable drive, you can quickly transfer your license.
Here's how:

- Make sure the desktop is running v7.2 or later. Now shut it down
completely using File | Exit ClipMate.
- Run ClipMate on the portable drive. It should now transfer the license
from the desktop. If ClipMate asks permission to copy the license to
the portable drive, answer YES. Now re-start ClipMate on the portable
drive, and look under Help | About, to verify that your license
information appears.

TRANSLATIONS
We'd like to thank David Lopez for a very nice Spanish translation!

We have two multi-language distributions, one for European (Spanish,
French, Czech, Polish, Italian, Dutch, German, Russian, Turkish) and
one for Asian languages (Chinese Simplified, Chinese Traditional,
Korean). They can be downloaded here:
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiAsian.exe
http://www.thornsoft.com/dist/ClipMate_MultiEurope.exe

You can find information on translations on our site:
http://www.thornsoft.com/lang.htm

That's it for now! As always, please feel free to contact us with any
questions.
If you would like to unsubscribe from this list, just let us know.

Chris Thornton, President
Thornsoft Development, Inc.
P.O. Box 164, Spencerport NY, 14559 USA
(585) 352-4223
http://www.thornsoft.com

Note: Replies should be directed to support at thornsoft.com or
sales at thornsoft.com Replies sent directly to the list server will be
lost. To change your subscription information, visit
http://www.thornsoft.com/listserv.htm