[CLOH-News] Building -- chicken and egg

Mark Rauterkus mark.rauterkus at gmail.com
Mon Dec 27 08:00:00 EST 2021

Always ask your team about motivation and for motivation.

Motivated swimmers motivate the coach.

   - Which came first: The chicken or the egg?

The motivation that inspires the athletes don't generally come from the
coach. Motivation is the result of their effort, their enthusiasm for the
task, their great efforts in competition. In turn, that makes the coach
motivated. Swim coaches are always motivated by fast swimming in practice
and competition. Coaches can ask the swimmers to motivate the coach, so
that you (as a coach) could be inspired to better motivate them.

Once upon a time, a college swimmer finished a race and, while talking to
the coach, the swimmer asked, "What would help me in my next race?" The
coach's answer was delivered with little enthusiasm. The coach said, "Swim
faster."

Years later, when the swimmer was then a coach, the meaning of those words
rang true. Swimmers and coaches need to realize that the level of coaching
elevates with faster swimming.

https://read.swimisca.org/courses/global-library-for-isca-members/lessons/building-and-growing-a-client-focused-swim-program-by-wayne-goldsmith/topic/team-building/

--
Ta.

Mark Rauterkus       Mark at Rauterkus.com
Webmaster, International Swim Coaches Association, SwimISCA.org