[CLOH-News] Fwd: Coaching profession

Michael Kavanaugh coachmkavanaugh at gmail.com
Tue Aug 23 08:15:04 EDT 2022

My input would be as follows:

Culture should be the number one priority and communication of clear program goals. I can only speak from my experiences and am sure others will have far different than me. Once a solid culture is identified and implemented a lot of issues with parents should be resolved. Don’t get me wrong, there will always be problem families, but we have to be willing to meet with families and hear them out while also correcting them (education). The ones who leave are not a part of what you want to do.

I’ll add more to the pay raise echoes by Mike C. The identity of your program and what you want to do are massive in identifying the type of team you want to be. Do you want to be a professional team or a recreational team? Professional teams will require more resources across the board. The leadership and continuity of leadership has to be aligned with the head coach. The rates and what services are provided should align here. As an industry, we are dependent on the health of the economy and the health of a families employment situation.  This might be a new tough time for some programs as the job layoffs are being announced and inflation is effecting the pocket books of our families. In this aspect, I do believe working with families in a one off situation is the right thing to do.

Recruitment of coaches is tough. I’d love to hear others thoughts on this….

Have a great day everyone!

—
Mike

Mike Kavanaugh | Senior Head Coach Life Time Michigan

M.S., SSDC, NASM - PES, CES, ISCA,ASCA Level 4
“The greatest teacher, failure is."
-- Yoda