[finders] Information Architecture for CEOs

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Mon Oct 31 13:21:11 EST 2005

October 31, 2005: Information Architecture for CEOs

http://www.findability.org/archives/000066.php

In writing Ambient Findability, one of my many ulterior motives was to
introduce information architecture concepts and value(s) to a mix of
audiences completely unfamiliar with our IA Book or the IA Institute or the
IA Summit.

So, I'm very excited by early signs of interest from outside. For instance,
in past weeks, I've been interviewed by Entrepreneur Magazine (business
owners) and Forrester Magazine (CEOs) and invited to speak at an upcoming
conference on Open Source Intelligence (CIA, MI5) alongside Howard Bloom,
Alvin and Heidi Toffler, and a potpourri of ambassadors, colonels, and
brigadier generals.

And, most recently, the lemur book was reviewed by John Hagel, a Top 100
Business Guru who led the global strategy and electronic commerce practice
of McKinsey for years. I love how the review begins...

"Information architecture - the words themselves are enough to cause the
eyes of most executives to glaze over. It's abstract, likely to be
complicated and expensive and unlikely to produce near-term revenue, much
less profit, impact. "Ambient Findability" - these words won't help the
average executive much either. Even my Microsoft Word application doesn't
like findability - it keeps suggesting that I change it to fundability
(there's a certain perverse logic here because, as I will suggest below,
findability will lead to fundability)."

...and how it ends:

"Morville provides us with a very well-written, even eloquent book, drawing
much needed attention to a key dimension of competition going forward.
Business executives of all types will profit from reading this provocative
book."

After reading John Hagel's glowing review, I'm ready to rename the book
Information Architecture for CEOs. Or at least suggest it as an entry term
along with lemur book, af, ambient fundability, (c)ia, 0596007655, and ia
for your mom.

So, thanks to everyone who's helping to make the lemur more findable outside
its natural habitat of trees and leaves.