[finders] Year of the Tag

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Mon Jan 2 11:22:52 EST 2006

January 2, 2006: Year of the Tag

http://www.findability.org/archives/000081.php

After some year-end ribbing from Gene Smith and David Weinberger, I've
chosen the following New Year's Resolution:

I will adopt a kinder, gentler attitude toward tags.

Seriously, my tag bashing past was a reaction to the hyperbole, and not to
the phenomenon itself. And I do think the (related tag) clustering
algorithms of Flickr, Delicious, and Technorati show promise.

On Flickr, for instance, if I'm describing a photo of a map, I'll probably
use map as my tag (7998 photos). But, as a user, I'm likely to search on
maps (2426 photos). The first maps cluster guides me to the map clusters,
which transport me to the japan-subway-tokyo cluster, which is cool.

Of course, folksonomic success requires a critical mass of user
participation and the readiness to relinquish control. Whether tags can
cross the chasm to corporate web sites and intranets remains to be seen. But
I'm resolved to be optimistic. 2006 will be the year of the tag.