[finders] Interaction Design

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Tue Oct 31 10:57:16 EST 2006

October 31: Interaction Design

http://www.findability.org/archives/000142.php

I've invested much of my career defining information architecture as
distinct from interaction design. So, it was funny this summer to find
myself working on a couple of Web 2.0 projects that pulled me way into the
left of Jesse's diagram.

At a certain point -- I think it was the drag-and-drop interface that pushed
me over the edge -- I realized it was time to go back to school (not
literally).

So, I've been reading up on the topic:

* Designing for Interaction by Dan Saffer
* Designing Interfaces by Jenifer Tidwell
* About Face 2.0 by Alan Cooper and Rob Reimann
* Designing Interactions by Bill Moggridge

Dan's book provides an excellent overview of the history and concepts
surrounding interaction design. Jenifer's book digs deep into the patterns
of effective and successful interaction design. It's a good read and a great
reference. I haven't read the other two yet, but they're on my list.

Ironically, I was a technical reviewer for Designing Interfaces. When I read
the manuscript, a long while back, my head was so deep into information
architecture and findability, I didn't really engage. I wasn't ready for the
interaction. It took a bit of pain to make the content relevant.

Also ironic, just when I'm ready to join IxDA, I'm starting a very large
(and exciting) traditional IA engagement. But that doesn't dull my interest.
Even on content-centric projects, I think there are intriguing opportunities
to design for information interaction at the crossroads of these sister
discplines.

So, now that I'm ready to learn, what else should I read?