[finders] Attention Analytics

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Fri Aug 31 16:15:06 EDT 2007

August 31, 2007: Attention Analytics

http://www.findability.org/archives/000183.php

I had breakfast with Lou Rosenfeld today, and during a conversation that
inevitably wandered into search analytics, Lou wondered if there was a
single article, talk, or interview that had sent the most eyeballs my way in
recent years.

This was all the excuse I needed for some late summer procrastination, so I
dove into Google Analytics for a quick swim.

On the blog side, my Washington Post chat is the winner, followed closely by
the NPR interview, the Slashdot book review, and my announcement of the
original Laughing Lemur Contest.

On the Semantic Studios side, my Information Architecture 3.0 article blows
the competition out of the water. Nothing draws attention like a fracas.

Beyond that, my Semantic Studios traffic is fairly steady, with a
substantial portion driven by search engines, thanks to high rankings on
such queries as authority, social network analysis, and user experience.

And, in gray, trailing into the distance, is the long tail of the lemur,
sporting such uncommon queries as "swedish marketing blunders" and "yosemite
beef jerky."

Heh. I'm suddenly feeling very hungry. Wow, it's getting late. I've spent
the whole day on analytics. Thanks a lot Lou!

Strange Connections

* If you missed the original skirmish, you can get a piece of IA 3.0 this
October at Smart Experience in New York or ASIS&T in Milwaukee.