[finders] Everything is Miscellaneous

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Thu May 3 09:34:14 EDT 2007

Everything is Miscellaneous: May 3, 2007

http://www.findability.org/archives/000168.php

I've written a review, (Not) Everything is Miscellaneous, of David
Weinberger's new book. While I don't agree with everything, I do recommend
it highly.

Here are a few of my favorite quotes:

* Discovering what you want is at least as important as finding what you
know you want. (9)

* The solution to the overabundance of information is more information. (13)

* How we draw lines can have dramatic effects on who has power and who does
not. (32)

* It would seem that Wikipedia does everything in its power to avoid being
an authority, yet that seems only to increase its authority - a paradox that
indicates an important change in the nature of authority itself. (142)

* Information architects - the professionals who design the organization of
and human interface with information. (165)

Judging by the way it's climbing the charts at Amazon, Everything is
Miscellaneous is destined to change the way lots of folks think about
organization and knowledge. Congratulations David!