[finders] Risks of Riding

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Fri Jul 18 10:19:21 EDT 2008

July 18, 2008: Risks of Riding

http://www.findability.org/archives/000215.php

Last summer, I bought a mountain bike. Since then, I've had a great time
rediscovering the joys of cycling on trails and roads. I even participated
in my first triathlon. Cycling is a great way to stay in shape, or so I
thought.

Then, two weeks ago, I had an accident. While riding down a hill on the
Poto, my front wheel hit a stump and stopped dead. My bike and I did a
complete forward flip. I landed on my back and managed to bruise a few ribs.
The accident really shook me up, and it still hurts to breath deep.

Then, yesterday, while riding downtown, I got hit by a car (driven by a
distracted Ann Arbor Art Fair artist). I escaped with only a scratch and a
bruise, but my bike's front wheel got mashed.

So, now I'm wondering whether the long term dangers of riding a bike
outweigh the health benefits. Don't get me wrong. I'll keep riding because
I'm stubborn and it's fun. But I'm no longer convinced it's good for me. If
you can point to any good data on the subject, I'd appreciate it. Thanks!

Strange Connections

* If you have this Findability Study, please send me a copy. It's free, but
their registration system is broken. AIIM should read their own study, if
they can find it!