[finders] Quest

finders at findability.org finders at findability.org
Tue Jul 29 11:57:27 EDT 2008

July 29, 2008: Quest

http://www.findability.org/archives/000216.php

In reading Stephen Denning's latest book, I was most engaged by the preface
in which he tells his own personal story about undertaking an ambitious
quest to transform knowledge management at the World Bank.

In 1996, as part of a politicized reorganization, Stephen was stripped of
his responsibilities and told to "look into information" which at the World
Bank had "all the prestige of the garage or the cafeteria - a wasteland from
which no traveler had ever returned."

After some investigation and reflection, he was struck by the immense
potential to share the knowledge of the bank's world-class experts beyond
the boundaries of the organization. This vision of "the knowledge bank" was
received with strong enthusiasm and even stronger resistance. Several
managing directors saw the idea as a serious threat to their power and
authority.

Ultimately, Stephen gained the support of the bank's president, and was able
to pursue his vision. What struck me was his conception of this modern
corporate experience as an against-the-odds quest:

"I opted to set aside any idea of career advancement and commit myself
wholeheartedly to making change happen, accepting whatever indignities I
might have to suffer. I would do whatever it took, even if the effort were
to take a decade."

This reminds me of Lawrence Lessig's mission to Change Congress (his recent
keynote is well worth watching). Whether or not you agree with his politics,
it's hard to deny he's on an ambitious, inspiring, terrifying quest.

As Denning notes, questioning oneself is a natural prerequisite to the
quest:

"Most of the great heroes of history have hesitated when faced with the
issue of whether to proceed with leadership or not. Homer's Odysseus
hesitated for seven years before leaving the island of Ogygia, where he was
living with the nymph Calypso. Hamlet spent forever agonizing over whether
to act or not."

So, if you're agonizing, perhaps you can draw inspiration from Denning and
Lessig. But, if you're in the Northern Hemisphere, I recommend waiting, and
enjoying the final few weeks of summer. Then, you can begin your quest.

Strange Connections

"If you want to build a ship, don't drum up the men to gather wood, divide
the work and give orders. Instead, teach them to yearn for the vast and
endless sea."
- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I stumbled upon this great quote in Designing for the Social Web.