[game_preservation] game review websites

Andreas Lange lange at digitalgamearchive.org
Thu Oct 14 08:07:09 EDT 2004

Hello Martin,

yes this is an good idea. specially because it is highly unsure, what
will happen to such material if the reviewed games become older or the
site closes. it would be good to have someone in charge who try to
preserve such important documents. there are also a lot more documents
which would be worth to be preserved. think at the artwork at the boxes,
the manuals, the walkthroughs, marketing material, recorded game plays
and for sure the games itself. it is not that all this material isn’t
collected now. there exist a lot of great archives - hobbyists and
professional ones. the problem is the accessibility of such collections.
without a few exceptions all this material is copyrighted. so it needs
some work of persuading to make the material available to a wider public
lets say for educational purposes.
therefore I suggest to consider the foundation of an international
coalition for the preserving of digital games. if it would be successful
to agree with the most relevant players in this field (means the
developers, the license holders, academia and the archivists) on a
structure and a mission of such a construct it would be much more easier
to approach the ones who own relevant material.
together with Henry Lowood from Stanford we drafted a first concept of
how such a coalition could be described. if you are interested you can
download it here:
http://www.digitalgamearchive.org/works/InternationalCoalitionforPreservingDigitalGames_1.rtf

it might look like the creation of a big administrative overhead. and
yes, it surely needs some efforts to realize such a plan. but the reason
I suggest it is just realism. we know from our own experience as from
others that it is a sisyphus work to individually approach the lisence
holders for each piece of IP they own. IMHO it could be worth to invest
a certain amount of efforts in the founding of such an initiative if the
result will be a much easier access to the material which is relevant
for research purposes. what do you think?

best, andreas

Andreas Lange
DiGA e.V. - The Digital Game Archive
www.digitalgamearchive.org