[game_preservation] game review websites

Simon Carless simon at archive.org
Sun Oct 17 15:39:47 EDT 2004

Hey guys,

On the point of preserving game review websites and other media related
to this, there's somewhat of a double-pronged attack already in place:

- the Internet Archive's Wayback Machine, which tries to preserve _all_
websites on the Internet in some form, has webpages going back to 1996.
Sites can exclude themselves by changing their robots.txt file, but
there's definitely plenty of material in there which is no longer
available, and is important. However, because of the mass of
information, this part of the Archive's operations work on the 'archive
everything, exclude on request' mantra, something that the material that
I'm working on does _not_ do. Nevertheless, it would be a good idea for
somebody to go through and find good Wayback-archived review/official
sites that no longer exist. In fact, I'm thinking about setting up a
Wiki for this! So stay tuned.

- things like video footage from sites can be archived with permission
from the site, and I've done this on behalf of the Internet Archive for
some of the more indie sites, like Kikizo Games, and also
goodcowfilms.com. Unfortunately, big sites like GameSpot won't really
want the entirity of their video content mirrored right now, because
they make money from getting people to stick on their site and pay for
extra/existing content. But all things in good time - we're already
getting a lot of good relevant video content from the above entities.

On another tack, the Preservation SIG, and related people, just got a
very nice write-up in, of all places, The Hollywood Reporter:

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/thr/columns/video_games_display.jsp?vnu_content_id=1000663278

It's intelligently done, but interviewing with Paul Hyman reminded me
about how relatively disorganized this effort still is. I should point
out that at least we've been organized enough to _SET UP_ the SIG, which
is significantly more organized than anyone else has been so far, heh.
We have the profile, so we'd be silly not to act on it.

As perhaps I've mentioned, the first thing I'm going to try to do is set
up this 'Preservation Consortium' under the auspices of the IGDA, and
then we can 'officially' archive all of the great CAPS Project disc
images, privately, at the Internet Archive. This'll help us a lot in
bulk. Then we should take a good look about where we should go from
there. Both Jason Della Rocca and Jesse Schell have had some excellent
suggestions, and the SIG's idea is to _co-ordinate_ external efforts, so
if everyone works on what they're doing, in their own corner, then we
won't be impeding progress as we look for ways to, wait for it, synergize.

Thanks for all your patience, all,
Simon.