[game_preservation] Introduction

Andreas Lange lange at digitalgamearchive.org
Tue Sep 21 07:29:26 EDT 2004

Dear Simon, Dear Colleagues,

thanks you very much for setting up the list. In my opinion, the time is
right to raise the question of the preservation on a broader base. Lets
start with a short introduction of me. My name is Andreas Lange. I am
involved in the preservation of digital games since 1996 when we decided
to found the Computer Game Museum in Berlin, Germany
(www.computerspielemuseum.de). While collecting all the originals (hard-
and software) in the museum we decided in 2002 to found a special
organisation solely dedicated to the long term preservation of digital
games (www.digitalgamearchive.org). On the one hand we try since then to
build a network of games archivists like us and the traditional
archiving sectors like libraries and museums. On the other hand we
address questions of technical, organizational and legal nature, which
must be solved to build a stable base for the long term preservation.
The last event we were responsible for was a track about games
preservation within the WOS conference you can find here
(http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=712&L=3 and
http://wizards-of-os.org/index.php?id=713&L=3)
Before we step deeper into the discussion I am interested who else is
subscribed to the list. I am looking forward to stimulating and
constructive discussions,

with best wishes

Andreas

--