[game_preservation] Re: Introduction

The CAPS Team caps at caps-project.org
Wed Sep 22 12:07:38 EDT 2004

Dear All,

Following on from Andreas, I would like to introduce myself and the
organisation I represent. My name is Kieron Wilkinson, and along with
István Fábián, Christian Sauer and Richard Rayner, we form the Classic
Amiga Preservation Society (CAPS). Though CAPS will soon become the
"Software Preservation Society" to reflect how we are looking towards
including other platforms.

What we have mainly dedicated ourselves to, is the technical side of
digital preservation, currently working on 3.5" magnetic "floppy" media
containing original (non-pirate, non-cracked) games for the Commodore
Amiga platform. We look at preservation of these artefacts in very
strict way - basically if they are not true to the original item, then
they are not suitable for preservation.

Ignoring some technical details for the moment, there are basically
three things we do, and believe vital, when doing this:

1) Low-level imaging of media, so any copy protection, custom formatting
on a disk is (after passing quality checks) bundled into a digital
representation suitable for preservation. A disk image file. Assuming an
emulator for the target system is accurate enough, this can then be run
and played as you would expect on actual hardware.

2) Integrity-based quality assurance. Due to age of the media, many
disks are not suitable for preservation due to errors, etc. Since we
describe exactly how each format is structured, including description of
any checksum information found on a disk, we can check if the data is
correct.

3) Authentication-based quality assurance. Save games, hiscore saving,
viruses, hacking, pirate or otherwise counterfeit/backup copies copied
onto original media and sold on are some of the problems we face.
Fortunately we can detect such modification by various techniques, most
prominently by looking at the unique "fingerprint" left by the disk
drive writing the media. If some tracks differ, or the fingerprint does
not "look" like the hardware used by commercial mastering equipment,
then we know we need to find another copy.

All of these three things allow us to preserve the games in the form
they were intended at duplication.

So far, we have digitally preserved just under 2200 games for the
Commodore Amiga platform, all verified true to the original item as
above, and playable on the WinUAE Amiga emulator. Since the technology
we have developed is intentionally generic, we will be turning to other
platforms in the future. Certainly the Amiga is one of the biggest
challenges for preservation due to the diversity of disk formats found
on the system and therefore was for us the most suitable starting point.
For more information on what we do, feel free to visit our website
(http://www.caps-project.org) though a complete re-write in currently
in-progress to support our move over to the more generic, "SPS".

We, or more specifically István Fábián, joined Andreas, Simon and Henry
at the WOS conference to speak and to help form some directed discussion
on how we are going to start going about all this from the broader
perspective and associated issues. Thanks go to Andreas for organising
that...

Anyway, apologies for the large mail. It is certainly great to be in
company with other like-minded individuals on this issue, and I look
forward to some constructive discussion and progress! :)

With good thoughts for the future,

--
Kieron Wilkinson
The CAPS Team