[game_preservation] support

The CAPS Team caps at caps-project.org
Thu Sep 30 18:41:33 EDT 2004

n8dunn at juno.com wrote:

 >about games that are remade in a different format, such as java or
 >flash? Could some sort of project be put together to convert "obsolete"
 >games into web-playable formats, or something similar? Again, just
 >throwing out ideas here. :-D

As far as converting games is concerned, there is an interesting (though
a bit naive in places IMHO) paper done on exactly this - emulation vs.
migration. They try a small field test using an emulated copy and a
converted copy of the game Chuckie Egg.

See here: http://www.rlg.org/preserv/diginews/diginews5-6.html

Personally, from a historical perspective, I think having the original
work it its original form is the most important, especially since
emulation of the respective systems has been maturing for a number of
years now for many systems.

--
Kieron Wilkinson
The CAPS Team