[game_preservation] Remakes

István Fábián if at caps-project.org
Thu Sep 30 22:59:16 EDT 2004

NP, I take this as a compliment :)
"How" is not really a problem anymore, strictly speaking of technical issues
and our project regarding floppy disc media. We can go for the original art
so we do it, before it's too late. Home computer games that we are talking
about - at SPS/CAPS - are originally on copy-protected floppy disks, and
their life-span is soon to end. We have proof that many of the FD disks from
1985 are no longer readable and of course later disks are developing errors
as we speak right now.

Yes, some companies would say what you think however you'd be much surprised
on others, but consider a license like Tomb Raider: the original authors
from Core Design - or Core Design in fact - are long gone, but it is still a
valuable license - despite the second movie ;)
Or take a look at Nintendo franchise, Mario, Donkey Kong etc is admittedly
the only IP they really hold onto, as the are the only products that can
sell yet another console system from them, otherwise doomed to be DoA just
like GCN.
So IP, likenesses, franchise and other related assets are valuable to many
of their ownersand understandably so.

You don't have to go very far, although I am making my IP freely accessible
I do reserve all the copyright since it has commercial value.

Thee are other issues of course just like making the archives accessible,
creating digital libraries of video games of the past, education, fair use,
research and so on.

Also another big issue (for us that is) is funding, this is pretty much a
full time job, not to mention getting some of the older titles are
increasingly difficult and more and more expensive - these we support from
our own pockets, but this can't go on forever. If we take into account the
amount of time devoted to our project with average salaries (not even IT
ones...) we are speaking in six/seven digit figures, but we have five digit
ones even on just purchasing titles.
Many of the developments we wanted to do, but couldn't is simply a financial
decision, and due to lack of funds and hence resources and time.
So here is the financial issue, that is the only "technical" issue that our
project faces.

István
ps: more details and faqs on:
www.caps-project.org