[game_preservation] Remakes

n8dunn at juno.com n8dunn at juno.com
Thu Sep 30 22:26:11 EDT 2004

Wow Istvan, you are full of knowledge :) (no sarcasm intended, btw).
I was the one who asked about remakes, and did so only as idle curiousity. I agree that preserving the original work is much, much better, I was just throwing out a possible idea as to HOW to preserve it. Probably the best idea, as far as staying legal is concerned, is to start finding out who owns what, get ahold of them, and get some nice written permission. I have a feeling most of the responses would be "you want to what!? uh... sure, go ahead.... loony." or something similar. The process could (will) take a LOT of time, but it would probably be worth it in the long run. Of course, if the laws allow us to just archive classic (read: obsolete) games without permission, then might as well go ahead and do that too. I think it comes down to whether the archive would be publicly accessable. I would say that it really should, otherwise the point of doing it is modified.
Bah, law... my mind is fried from thinking about it, watching the debates... I'm going to go take a nap, or blast something, or whatever. :-D

later,

Nathan Dunn
Graduate 2004 Full Sail Real World Education Game Design and Development Degree Program
http://www.geocities.com/n8dunn/Resume.doc