[game_preservation] Kickstarting the IGDA Preservation SIG

Greg B lextalionis at gmail.com
Thu Oct 20 10:57:18 EDT 2005

Kieron and group,
I would also like to chime in on the more difficult, but still important
task of preserving source code for these games, where available. I know that
Simon and some others know that I do game IP law full time. One of the most
important legal pieces for defending against a patent case in the game
context is having the date-stamped source code for a piece of prior art.
Finding a playable game with preserved date-stamped source code is often a
type of Holy Grail to help defend a against patent case.
Having said all of that, I do want to stress "where available." I'm sure
some people are still holding on the that 1987 source code just waiting to
make millions on the re-release of the game, but that code is probably worth
far more to the publishing/development community archived for historic
purposes and for the selfish purpose of defending against IP attacks.
Greg