[game_preservation] Updates

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Tue Mar 13 19:55:31 EDT 2007

Greetings,

This is an update on recent activities from the IGDA Game
Preservation SIG. I will try to be light on text here -- maybe even
cryptically so -- while putting more details about matters on the
SIG's wiki and blog in the next few days. A propos:

1. We still need volunteers to edit the wiki and blog. I hope some
of you new members from the GDC roundtables are still interested.

2. Blog: http://www.igda.org/preservation/
Wiki: http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Game_Preservation_SIG

Here are the updates, with notes on what I will post to the SIG:

1. At last week's Game Developers Conference, IGDA sponsored three
sessions directly related to the activities of the SIG: two
roundtables and one panel. The panel was the "Digital Game Canon"
event you may have read about. (If not, see the blog.) The
response has been rather dramatic, at least in terms of the number of
posts to Slashdot, Joystiq, Grandtextauto and the like.

2. You can see the Canon at its new official home on our wiki here:
http://www.igda.org/wiki/index.php/Game_Preservation_SIG/Digital_Game_Canon/

3. I will post the (short) presentations shortly to the wiki, at
least those that I have. ;)

I probably can't go into much detail for another week or so, but it
looks very good for the game preservation proposal to Library of
Congress. This project will be carried out by a consortium of Univ.
of Illinois, Stanford, Univ. of Maryland, and Rochester Univ.

Next up, I will post notes from the roundtables, which will include a
list of five or so proposed things to do in the next year. If any
of you who attended have notes, feel free to post, as well.

After doing this, I will probably step back briefly and wait for some
volunteer editors for the blog and wiki, and/or some hands in the air
to get started on the "to do list." Reason is that I don't want this
at all to be a one-man show. But I do think we have some momentum
now, so let's move with it!

Best,

Henry

Henry Lowood, Ph.D.
Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections
Curator for Germanic Collections; Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall
Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004