[game_preservation] Recreating game development environments

Vowell, Zachary W zvowell at austin.utexas.edu
Fri Aug 1 15:50:32 EDT 2008

> I was recently approached by a game programmer who was interested in

> recreating game development environments used by game developers in the 80s

> and 90s, etc. Or as he called them, "asset creation environments."

>I haven't seen it discussed, but as the others have said, a lot of
>in-house tools would have been used.

Yes, but doesn't the fact that they're in-house make them all the more "ripe" for preservation? (i.e., they're closer to the brink of oblivion than publicly distributed tools/editors/assets). I do agree it'll be a stroke of luck to find stuff like this, though.

>Some do exist (and have been fan-modded to work today), released at some
>point. For instance, the Doom level editors / source code (with the
>compiler needed to compile it) are available. No doubt getting a
>similar-era PC would allow you to experience that again pretty reliably.
>Some others around too, give or take, but there's no list I know of.

Oh yeah! I remember reading about the Doom editors- starting with something like that might be a good first step. Thanks for the refresher, Andrew.