[game_preservation] Recreating game development environments

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Aug 1 16:41:54 EDT 2008

Just to cover this; as far as I am aware starting my work on a "List of
places which accept things to preserve" as I discussed previously here,
it is important for sure, but has the same problems as anything else;
people don't have the things any more, they can't reliably send them in
(legal issues, company legal issues, time or money issues), or don't
even know they can be preserved or have any value as 3 core reasons.

Since I am not old enough to know however, I could be wrong and there
might be a very good reason :) but I doubt it. If you do know anyone
with this kind of stuff or can advocate people to get it sent to
archives, great :)

While they are also more "ripe" in their way, I'd think personally that
the tools themselves are next to useless without the original game
assets/code in any case, so if the former can be preserved it is in no
doubt the latter can be too.

Would be good to get something sorted on the IA regarding game
software/tools/code/assets availability (to put up tools like, say, the
Doom ones or others), or see what their dark archive works on and has on
this - I've not ever spoken directly to whoever is working on that
though, so I couldn't say who to contact for information on it. It might
be worth a shot however.

Andrew