[game_preservation] Lost Server Connection

Henry Lowood lowood at stanford.edu
Mon Aug 4 21:20:11 EDT 2008

Andrew,

We have quite a bit of video on EA-Land and several other worlds that
we created, plus a huge trove of earlier virtual world captures from
Bruce Damer. I rushed the last 5 minutes clip out as a kind of
preview and because of its timeliness.

Other worlds closing soon? None with quite as much history due to
close soon (that I know of).

A propos your comments; I realized after posting this that an exhibit
that appeared in an exhibition I curated a few years back (Game
Scenes, at YBCA) had been in TSO, Katherine Isbister and Rainey
Strauss' virtual Art Gallery. Gone now, as far as I know.

Henry

At 05:29 PM 8/4/2008, Andrew Armstrong wrote:

>That video was quite touching. I never knew much about EA-Land/The

>Sims Online, imagine all the effort those people left creating their

>communities in the game all lost. Sucks because they can't even

>connect to just each other or anything through the game, it requires

>a dedicated server connection.

>Do you know of any further worlds shutting down? I know many already

>have, just would be interesting to see further videos, not just of

>them shutting down of course though ;-) but that is an exceptionally

>less captured area.

>Andrew

>Henry Lowood wrote:

>> From the HTGG blog:

>>"Lost Server Connection": The Last Minutes of a Virtual World"

>>http://www.stanford.edu/group/htgg/cgi-bin/drupal/?q=node/239

>>Henry

>>Henry Lowood, Ph.D.

>>Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;

>> Film & Media Collections

>>HRG, Green Library, 557 Escondido Mall

>>Stanford University Libraries

>>Stanford CA 94305-6004

>>650-723-4602; <mailto:lowood at stanford.edu>lowood at stanford.edu;

>>http://www.stanford.edu/~lowood

Curator for History of Science & Technology Collections;
Film & Media Collections
HRG, Green Library
557 Escondido Mall, Stanford University Libraries
Stanford CA 94305-6004 USA
lowood at stanford.edu; 650-723-4602