[game_preservation] Hironobu Takeshita on MM9

Mike Melanson mike at multimedia.cx
Sun Aug 10 03:13:10 EDT 2008

Captain Commando wrote:

> For one, MM9 is not made using Famicom tools - but it is done in the

> Famicom style. In fact, MM9 is much too big and complex to fit on an NES

> cart anyway. This tells us something interesting: that the development

> tools for those old systems, they're not really used anymore (and it's a

> stretch to ask whether or not Capcom even has original Famicom dev kits

> still). So to begin with, the old technology is not readily available

> for work.

Somewhere, I have an ancient issue of Nintendo Power magazine that shows
some photographs of Nintendo developers working on the graphics and
music for a game. As an aspiring game designer, I studied those photos
carefully.

> However, you can still make an NES-style game today because the

> technology allows us to make something that 'emulates' (or rather,

> replicates) the style of the past. However, knowing what the hardware

> could do is important still for making an 'authentic' Famicom game

> versus simply replicating the look and feel. However, there are still

> people today who make NES games (and not by hacking existing ones). I

> don't recall the name of the team, but I believe it was led by a guy

> named Snowbro who is legendary for his NES hacking abilities.

Also, check out Retrozone:

http://retrousb.com/

They sell a variety of components that allow you develop software on an
actual NES console. This is perhaps their crowning achievement-- a
Flash-based NES cart which lets you just download your program:

http://retrousb.com/index.php?productID=133

I bought one a year ago but still have not put it into service.

> Second, the people who are making games today do not know how to make

> the games the way they did 25 years ago. This is another interesting

> point for preservation, because now from a design perspective, we

> wouldn't be concerned just with development environments but rather with

> techniques. Who teaches people today to make games like this? Only the

> people who made games 25 years ago and who are now in producer or lead

> design roles.

I was about to protest that I *do* know how to make games for the NES.
However, I realize that I know how to make them with today's tools. I
wouldn't know what the tool set looked like 20 years ago.

--
-Mike Melanson