[game_preservation] A Triumph Of Game Preservation

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Fri Aug 15 18:40:37 EDT 2008

Well, as they say, crap!

Hmm, might be worth contacting them, this is obviously the US branch and
all. Anyone want to take a crack at it? It's the weekend so they'd
likely not answer till Monday, but I'm too busy this weekend (or at
least, away from my PC) to do so.

I presume they don't just bin them and employees take them home, but
still...that's...sad. I'll email them on Monday if no one else has by
then. Thanks for the tipoff, I didn't check all the photos, hehe.

Andrew

Captain Commando wrote:

> [...]

> Chris Lepine wrote:

>> Per your suggestion Andrew, I contacted Joe Garrity of the Origin

>> Museum and passed along a few of my thoughts. Here is his response:

>> ///

>> I'll be happy to tell the IDGA guys the story, but I'm not sure

>> how much good it'll do. Our good fortune was not much more than

>> sending an email, and a boatload of luck. We just happened to

>> catch Paul Barnett at a generous moment in his tenure. He found

>> what we did interesting, and appreciated our passion. Our

>> 'technique' probably won't help the GP guys, but they are welcome

>> to use our success as 'proof-of-concept' to other publishers.

>> Due to our lucky circumstances, I think that other publishers

>> might be more interested in cooperating if they think, "Hmmm--if

>> EA thinks this was a good idea..." (just as long as the other

>> publishers are led to believe that it was EA's idea in the first

>> place--and as long as I'm involved somehow!) ;)

>> Like I said, we haven't developed a magic formula, or anythig.

>> We simply asked, and the planets were in alignment. But

>> acquiring the data was the easy part--distribution will be more

>> of an issue. The way I see it, we got the data on the good

>> graces of Paul Barnett. I'm sure that he told the EA suits in

>> LA, but their legal department may only catch wind of it later.

>> "you gave the fans WHAT?!"

>> We were told that no code should be released, and that everything

>> else shouldd go thru them first. But Paul gave us a wink, and

>> said he wants to see this stufff out--This leaves us at an

>> empass. I want to put some of the more juicy stuff out on the

>> net, but I also want to respect EA's IP as well--it's their stuff

>> after all. There's also potential legal entanglements. I'd hate

>> to give the Museum a bad reputation among EA execs--everything

>> we've worked for would be shot to pieces. Dee the dilemma?

>> I think the best strategy is to advertise--and then wait. I've

>> seen EA do some incredibly nice things for the fans if they are

>> treated with respect. I've also seen them crush individuals who

>> have good intentions, but get a little snotty/cocky. I always

>> hated those petitions that make demands of the publisher, based

>> solely on some kid's envy--"It's an old game and you've already

>> made your money--why don't you just give us the scource code?!"

>> ///

>> I'll let Joe know about the mailing list - there's a good chance

>> he might even want to join up here. I'll be speaking to him next

>> week, so hopefully I'll get some more details then.

>> Cheers,

>> - Chris

>> ---

>> The Artful Gamer: In Search of the Lyrical and Poetic in Video Games

>> http://www.artfulgamer.com

>>> Sure, all those suggestions are very good - you don't want to

>>> take the

>>> initiative and do any of them? :) (For the archive repository,

>>> if the

>>> data is all digital at the very least I am sure the Internet

>>> Archive can

>>> have the majority of it in one form or another).

>>> I am still in the process (offline) of thinking how to revamp

>>> the wiki

>>> information, and these projects should be listed there along

>>> with other

>>> good fansites/source of info. I can't disseminate information on

>>> the

>>> wiki, it's just a poor location for it since everything is

>>> manual, but I

>>> hope to get some form of DB-run site (perhaps the DGC one) which

>>> can

>>> work to do the metadata and linking/searching to media side,

>>> especially

>>> Archive.org things which are hopeless to search through :)

>>> Andrew