[game_preservation] MSN interviews Joe Santulli

Stuart Feldhamer stuart.feldhamer at gmail.com
Tue Aug 26 11:39:36 EDT 2008

My comments:

It is relatively easy (if you have the money) to buy everything you see and
have a warehouse full of assorted games and related artifacts. It's also not
that interesting to most people.

So for example, right now I don't collect NES games. I could go to a bunch
of flea markets and stores and buy every NES title I can find, and maybe
have 500 of them in a week. Is that a collection? Yes, in some sense of the
word, but it's a pretty poor one. In my mind it's more akin to a pile of
junk.

Most collectors that I have encountered focus on a particular niche and try
to collect everything related to that niche. The fun and excitement in
collecting comes from searching for and then ultimately finding that rare
item that adds to or completes some particular area of their collection.
That's also what gets the press and general interest btw. And speaking of
Joe Santulli and his video, did you notice that he pointed out the 3 rarest
and most expensive items, and then said that those were the 3 that were the
most meaningful to him personally? I doubt it was because they were the most
expensive, but rather because he had to go to some considerable trouble to
acquire them.

(BTW, most collectors that I know (myself included) treasure their rare
titles but also titles that hold sentimental value for them for other
reasons. For example, my copy of Seastalker folio edition for IBM that my
father bought for me when it first came out, and I managed to hang onto it
through several moves, etc. before I even started collecting officially.)

I have other comments about physical preservation of games and shrinkwrap
vs. non-shrinkwrap but I will save those for another time.

Stuart