[game_preservation] [Monthly SIG Roundup] December 2008

Andrew Armstrong andrew at aarmstrong.org
Mon Dec 1 11:01:53 EST 2008

December has us rolling along with the white paper
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_Paper/Before_It%27s_Too_Late:_A_Digital_Game_Preservation_White_Paper>,
and the GDC Preservation SIG round table announced, hooray!

Preservation SIG Updates

Our first white paper titled "Before It's Too Late: A Digital Game
Preservation White Paper
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_Paper/Before_It%27s_Too_Late:_A_Digital_Game_Preservation_White_Paper>"
has been started, we're still looking for contributions, especially on
the topic of case studies where the lack of preservation has hurt
developers. Opinions on the white paper are also welcome, if something
seems missing.

The Internet Archive has a new collection of Let's Play
<http://www.archive.org/details/lets-play> videos with help from the
Let's Play Archive <http://www.letsplayarchive.com/> - thanks to baldurk
the site admin for his generous help. There are many up already, so
check them out
<http://www.archive.org/search.php?query=collection%3Alets-play&sort=-publicdate> :)

Other Internet Archive uploads I've done have centred on the vast array
of intros and cutscene files from games. Age of Empires II
<http://www.archive.org/details/Age_Of_Empires_II_Startup_Movies>,
Assassins Creed
<http://www.archive.org/details/Assassins_Creed-Demo_Intro>, Battlefield
2 <http://www.archive.org/details/Battlefield_2-Intro>, Call of Duty 4
<http://www.archive.org/details/Call_of_Duty_4-Intro>, Call of Duty:
United Offensive <http://www.archive.org/details/Call_of_Duty_UO-Intro>
and Warhammer 40,000: Fire Warrior
<http://www.archive.org/details/Warhammer_40000_Fire_Warrior-Cutscenes>.
Yes, most of these are pretty new games (ones I had easy access too) -
so if you have any more intros, cutscenes or in-game footage that isn't
in the archive already, please contact us so we can get it online :)

December Preservation SIG Work

We've got the white paper
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/White_Paper/Before_It%27s_Too_Late:_A_Digital_Game_Preservation_White_Paper>
ongoing, and I also intend to finish updating some of the memorials
pages which we've left for a few months due to work. If you know of any
missing memorials not in our collection we'd love to hear from you at
memorials -at- igda.org

Finally, I hope with my sorting of the IA's videogame collections icons,
I can also do something about the SIG's lack of one. We've now got a
very nice Memorials icon so it'd be a shame if the SIG as a whole
doesn't have one. Ideas welcome and I'll post up any prototypes (is that
the right artistic term?) if I do some.

Mailing List Discussions

If you've not joined our mailing list
<http://six.pairlist.net/mailman/listinfo/game_preservation>, please do
so. We've never tried using our forums it seems :) we stick to
old-fangled email. In November we have had discussions on the
aforementioned case study white paper research
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-November/000653.html>,
some notes on Google shutting down lively
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-November/000650.html>,
a brand new Memorials icon
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-November/000641.html>
and also some ideas for a SIG icon
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-November/000615.html>
(which still needs doing as I've noted above), and also my visit to the
National Videogame Archive
<http://six.pairlist.net/pipermail/game_preservation/2008-November/000618.html>.

Preservation SIG Blog Updates / Links

/Have I missed anything this month? Then email it in to
preservation_news @ igda.org !/

I'm afraid as of making this newsletter something is up on the IGDA.org
site, and I can't access the Preservation Blog front page. I'll update
the wiki entry
<http://www.igda.org/wiki/Game_Preservation_SIG/Monthly_Roundups/200812>
with the November entries as soon as I can access it.

Final Thoughts

White paper work is ongoing, wish us luck doing it before our set
deadline :) and Happy Christmas from your site/blog editor!

Ho ho ho!

Andrew Armstrong

IGDA Game Preservation SIG Site/Blog editor